Check out the video about importing contacts to learn more.
- Export your contacts from your previous software. Organize your data into clearly labeled, separate columns, and remove extras such as images and graphs. Then save the file as a .csv.
- In Ontraport, go to → Settings → Import Contacts and upload your .csv file.
- Follow the instructions on each step of the import wizard and click on the last step to finish the process.
- You’ll be taken back to Contacts, and your imported contacts will now appear.
- Note, to ensure compliance with our anti-spam policies, our email delivery team reviews each import before you can send bulk email to your imported contacts. This approval process is typically completed within one business day.
Check out the video about editing columns in Excel to learn more.
Things to keep in mind
Use the suggestions below as a reference for more information about specific steps of the import wizard.
In Step 2 of the wizard — Verify Information:
- If the first line of your .csv file includes header rows such as First Name, Last Name, etc., check the “Don’t include header row” checkbox.
In Step 3 of the wizard — Import Settings:
- “Duplicate Contact Import Settings” — These will determine how the contacts on your .csv are imported into your account. Hover over to see descriptions of all options, and select the one that fits your needs.
- “Merge Settings” — Select the field you would like to use to identify duplicate contacts; we recommend choosing “Email.”
- If you want to import contacts but don’t want to send them marketing emails, check the box “Import these contacts with bulk mail set to ‘Transactional Only’ (Not recommended).” This creates a “suppression list” which allows you to store lead information without sending emails to people who haven’t asked for them.
In Step 5 of the wizard — Add Rules (Optional):
- Performing actions on your contacts is not required, but it is a great place to add tags to your contacts, such as the date of import or the list they belong to, before you import them.
To import data as relationships
To import contacts or object records with established relationships, follow the steps below. This is not necessary for users who only want to import contacts; it is for those interested in importing associated deals and companies (Plus accounts and above) or other custom objects (Pro accounts and above).
- Add a column to your .CSV for the name of the record you want to create a relationship with. For example, if you want to connect contacts to companies, add a column for “Company Name” in the .CSV file.
- Follow the steps above for importing contacts until you reach step 4 of 5 in the import process.
- Select an Ontraport field to match your object’s name column, and click it to drill into that object’s data then select its name field.
- Clickand select if you would like to merge duplicates or create new records.
- Continue your import process normally.
Addresses that will be imported as “transactional only”
Role-based email addresses are generally associated with a job or position instead of a specific person and are managed by several people. Mailing these addresses often leads to high bounce rates, spam complaints and other email delivery issues, which is why the following role addresses are imported with the bulk email status of “transactional only.”
Note: Contacts with role-based addresses can opt in through forms and can be added to your account through Ontraport’s API with an opted-in BES.keyboard_arrow_downkeyboard_arrow_up