UTM tracking is available to users with Ontraport Pro accounts and above.
Steps for Setting Up UTMs
- Click > Administration > Advanced Features > Tracking. This adds a tracking tab in your navigation bar.
- Click > .
- Enter the URL for the page you want to track.
- For this to work, Ontraport’s tracking script must be installed on the page. Tracking scripts are automatically installed on Ontraport Pages and WordPress sites integrated with PilotPress.
- After adding your Website URL, fill in at least Campaign Name, Source, and Medium. Content and Terms are optional.
- Click .
Let’s say you want to make a UTM link with the following values:
Website URL: mysalespage.safechkout.net
Campaign: Free Month Offer
Medium: Boosted Post
Content: Version A
Terms: May 15
Your UTM link will look like this:
Implement and track UTM links
UTM links are most commonly used to track the performance of your advertising campaigns. For example, if you are trying to figure out how your ad on Facebook is performing compared to your ad on YouTube, you want to have unique UTM links to use on each ad.
Say both of your ads are running the same advertising campaign, and are directing contacts to the same page. You don’t have to guess which ad your sales are coming from, or create unique pages for each ad to judge their performance. UTM tracking does the work for you so you can easily see where your opt ins and sales are coming from.
- Follow steps 1-6 to create your UTM links, and set up your ads.
- Hover over Tracking, and click the UTM parameter you would like to sort your links by.
- Select URL History to see all of the UTM links that have been created. To quickly access the link again, select your link from URL History and click .
- After selecting your parameter, click to add columns for the tracking stats you are looking for.
- Click the name of any of your UTM parameter values to open a page to view more information about the selected value.
- You can also use tracking filters on campaigns to check the goal conversion rate for specific UTM links.
UTM values in contact records
Your contacts’ lead information section shows you which UTM link led them to opt in and the last link that they clicked. The last link clicked is used to give you information about which ad is getting your contacts to purchase. To view UTM parameter values in individual contact records:
- Click and select a contact.
- Scroll down to the Lead Information section in the Contact Information tab.
First Click Attributions
The purpose of first attribution is for you to be able to see which link converted your prospects to contacts. If prospects opt in (thereby becoming contacts) after clicking a UTM link, that link will be attributed as their first click. For example, “First Campaign” will show you which advertising campaign led your contact to opt in.
Last Click Attributions
Last attributions are updated every time a UTM link is clicked. They can be used to identify which link led your contacts to purchase a product or take any action you might be measuring. If you want to see if your ads are leading to sales, use the campaign tracking filter.