Integrating your Ontraport account with Google Analytics is a great way to collect and analyze your purchase activity data. Once set up, you’ll be able to see which Google Ads are converting and gain useful sales insights such as your average order value and the length of your sales cycle.
There are three ways to integrate your Ontraport account with Google Analytics:
Basic setup: Choose this option if you’re using a Basic level account and/or you’d like to add a Google tracking script to your Ontraport page.
Intermediate setup: Choose this option if you’re using a Plus level account and/or you’d like to set up an intermediate integration that sends your contacts’ sales data to Google Analytics when they purchase.
Advanced setup: Choose this option if you have a Pro or Enterprise level account and/or you’d like to set up a more robust integration that sends contact data to Google Analytics based on mid and deep funnel conversion data.
The basic setup allows you to add the Google Analytics tracking code to your landing pages so you can collect information about your web traffic. From your Google Analytics account, you can see the number of visitors to your page, where your traffic is coming from, what device your visitors are using and more.
To get your Google tracking code
- Find your Tracking ID and global site tag by following the steps in this article.
- Copy your tracking code. You will need this in step 3 below.
To add your Google tracking to your Ontraport landing page
- In your Ontraport account, select the landing page you’d like to update with Google tracking.
- Click → Custom Code.
- Paste the tracking code you copied from Google.
- Click .
- Click → to update your page.
Note, to make sure your code is working, check out the “Verify that your global site tag is working” section in this article.
The basic setup allows you to send purchase information from order forms to your thank you page to record the sales information in Google Analytics Ecommerce Tracking. To do this, you need to edit your form’s settings, and place an additional script on your thank you page.
All Ontraport order forms contain an advanced setting to send the information, but an additional script is needed to capture and format it for Google Analytics.
Google Analytics Ecommerce Tracking is available to users with Ontraport Plus accounts and above.
To set up Google Analytics
- Enable Ecommerce Tracking in your Google Analytics account by following the steps in this article. Copy and save your Google Analytics ID number. You will need this in step 7 below.
- Configure Google Analytics for your currency.
To set up your Ontraport order forms
- In your Ontraport account, select a landing page or an Ontraport Form with an order form on it.
- Go to your form settings, and scroll down to the “Advanced” section.
- Click the checkbox “Send Google Ecommerce Tracking parameters to landing/thank you page.” Click .
- Every form submission after making this change will send Google’s ecommerce tracking parameters to the thank you page. You won’t have to re-embed the form on your webpage.
To set up your thank you page
- Get the Ontraport sample script from GitHub by copying the “minified version” to a text file.
- Add your Google Analytics ID number (from step 1) and your currency code to the sample script.
- Locate googleAnalyticsId = “UA-123456789-1” and replace the numbers inside the quotes with your own.
- Locate googleAnalyticsCurrency = “USD” and replace “USD” with your own currency code if it’s different.
- In Ontraport, go to and select the thank you page that corresponds with your order form.
- Click → Custom Code.
- Copy and paste your edited Ontraport sample script into the Custom Header Code box then click .
- Save and publish your thank you page.
- Wait 24 hours for the data to populate into Google Analytics, then test the script.
Deep funnel conversion tracking with Google Analytics
This feature is for advanced marketers with Pro or Enterprise level accounts, and it allows you to set up an advanced Google tracking integration. You can check out our webinar with Three Ventures to see how it all works.
This advanced integration allows you to bridge the gap between the data collected about your anonymous leads tracked by Google and your identified leads tracked by Ontraport, so you can see if your ads are driving traffic that actually purchases from you. When you can see your mid and deep funnel conversions from Ontraport in Google, you can focus your marketing budget on ads that are driving sales — not just clicks or opt-ins.
To get started, you need to enable advanced Google tracking fields in your account, download and publish a prebuilt campaign to send your data to Google, and set up your Google Analytics account to use that data.
To enable advanced Google tracking fields
This feature will allow you to capture the Google Analytics Client ID and GCLID parameters when your forms are submitted, and store that data in two new fields: “GA Client ID” and “GCLID.” As soon as you toggle this feature on, your new fields will be created and automatically added to all of your Ontraport forms and forms on Ontraport landing pages.
- Go to → Administration → Advanced Settings.
- Toggle Google Tracking on.
To download your prebuilt campaign
This prebuilt campaign uses webhooks to send your mid and deep funnel conversion data back to Google.
- Click here to download your campaign.
- Follow the campaign checklist to customize it.
- Publish your campaign.
To set up Google Analytics
You need to set up Google Analytics to capture and display your data correctly. Our support team is not trained in Google Analytics and cannot set up or provide guidance to set up your Google Analytics account. You can follow the instructional video below to set it up yourself, or hire an expert to do it for you.